Friday 16 January 2015

RAYA SS - Back In Time Part 8



 Recap

I just stood there and stared at the spot where only seconds before Yam had been standing.

this is not help this is more trouble .

 So all the convo conclusion is that apparently Ram didn't hate me and that I'd be able to save him. and if I failed? Ram was going to die on my birthday.

What the hell could possibly happen next?

 The final thing come in my mind before going to bed that more horrific surprises were in store for me....
 

             
 Priya's POV



I started walking towards Kapoor's Coffee House. It was a bit colder than usual  in Mumbai City



. I hadn't seen Ram since at lunch yesterday,

  My first and only thought as to where he could be was Caffe's. It was obvious that he didn't hang out with anyone outside of college, and he had two sisters, right? Maybe he was babysitting the......

 Krishna Aunty was on call at the front counter as I open the door to of Kapoor's Cafe and quickly stepped inside whichis  about empty,

 "Priya!" Krishna Aunty said in surprise as I approached the  counter. "I haven't seen you in a while!"

I did my best to smile "It's nice to see you again,Krishna Aunty."

 "Oh, please," Krishna Aunty laughed, holding up a hand. "Call me KK. I feel so old being called Aunty."

 I tried not to feel too awkward as I smiled back

"So what can I do for you, beta?" Krishna Aunty asked . "Are you here for Ram?"

blush, dropping my gaze to my feet. "Yes, I am, actually..."

 "Well, I'm afraid he's at work," Krishna Aunty sighed, then added. "He won't be back for a couple of hours."

  "Oh," I said . "Okay. Sorry for disturbance."

 I about to leave , but Krishna Aunty called me back

"Wait, Priya! Why don't you stay for a cup of coffee? It's pretty cold outside.

 Okay, so a cup of coffee didn't sound so bad. But with Ram's mother? Wouldn't that be a little awkward?

 Well, you can always ask her a few questions, a tiny voice from my inner soul Who would know Ram better than his mother?

  "Okay," I said slowly,

Krishna Aunty smiled. "Great. This gives me a chance to get to know you!"

I hadn't been expecting her to reply me this, but it was a little nice to hear it.

 "But don't you have to work?" I asked

Krishna Aunty laughed. "Oh, this place is always dead in the afternoon. The morning upto 11 and after six are our busiest hours."

. "Perfect." i said...

 i open my purse to give money but then i remember Ram had been right in saying that my money wasn't welcome here.

 I took a seat small table meant for two people. Krishna Aunty come with two mugs of steaming yummy smelling coffee.

 "Ye loo beta," she said happily as she placed one of the mugs down in front of me.

I took the mug in my hands  "This smells amazing," I told Krishna Aunty with a smile.

"Family recepie," Krishna Aunty replied with a smile. "Our coffee is the only reason this place stays in business.."

 "Have you always lived here?" I asked before taking a sip of coffee.

 "we all live in the apartment above the caffe ," Krishna Aunty said,

 "It's a nice place," I said. "I like it."

Krishna Aunty smiled. "Thank you, Priya."

 I grinned, taking another sip of my yummy coffee.

"So, do you have a crush on my son?"

 I spit out a mouthful of coffee and stared at Krishna Aunty like she'd just asked me

 "Excuse me?" I said grabbing for a napkin.

There was a knowing glint in Krishna Aunty's dark eyes as she took a sip of her coffee and she wasn't doing a very good job of hiding her smirk.

 "I thought there must be cooking something," she said, "Ram's really not one to have friends."

 I was neither going to confirm or deny that statement about my having a crush on Ram - because I obviously felt something for Ram....I just didn't know what that was yet.

 this is the perfect opportunity to ask Krishna Aunty questions about Ram had just presented itself and I wasn't about to pass that up. It was probably the only chance I'd get to really learn anything about Ram, since he clearly wasn't going to tell me anything.

 "What's his deal?" I asked before I could stop myself.

Even Krishna Aunty looked surprised that I'd asked her that. She sighed, taking a sip of her coffee, and she answered.

 "There are things in Ram's life that he shouldn't have had to deal with," she said in a low voice. I think she was just as pained about the things that had happened to Ram that he had to be. "I blame myself, mostly. He's been the "man of the house" since he was little and he takes care of his sisters, and me and his grandmother. The god only knows that's not easy."

. I was getting the feeling that Krishna Aunty didn't often talk about the things that had gone on in their lives and I wasn't about to interrupt her.

"I'm sorry," I muttered,. "I shouldn't have...asked about it."

"Oh, it's all right," Krishna aunty said. "I know Ram would have never told you that himself."

 No kidding.

"But, Priya...."

 I gave Krishna aunty a curious look.

"Why are you...trying to get to know him?" Krishna aunty asked. "He's not exactly the most easy-going man. It can't be pleasant.".

"I don't know, Krishna aunty.sorry KK.." I trailed off, biting my lip. "It's just that...Ram seems so alone all of the time. I know what being alone feels like, and I wouldn't wish that on anybody. No matter how rude they are."

Krishna aunty smiled a little, sipping at her coffee. "I suppose you could put it that way. Oh, and Priya?"

"Yes?"

"You never did say what your last name was."

 "Sharma," I sighed.

"Your father wouldn't happen to be - "

 "Sudheer Sharma, the big hot-shot lawyer?"

 Krishna aunty nodded, "He is," I said.

 Unfortunately, I added

 Krishna aunty gave a small laugh as. "That must be interesting, having a lawyer for a father."

 "Not exactly," I said before I could stop myself. "I'm home alone most of the time,

 Krishna aunty fell silent as she stared over at me, "Well, you're welcome here any time you'd like," she finally said

 I couldn't help but grin as I glanced up at her. "Thank you."

 "I'm sure Ram will appreciate that," Krishna aunty chuckled

 I scowled. "I'm sure."

"Look, Priya, don't give up on Ram. He's a good guy. He just needs a little...prodding, I suppose you could say."

 Okay, so I hadn't expected Krishna aunty to say that at all. If anything, I thought she was going to tell me to just give up on Ram and go home and forget that I'd ever even met Ram before. But it was a nice change, hearing that from KK...

  Krishna aunty and I chatted a little while longer about how college was going for me and what I wanted to do after I college.



It was nice talking to KK.

  "Would you mind helping me in the back for a bit?" KK asked as stood up. "The dinner rush is about to start soon and since Ram aren't back yet, I need some help manning the front counter."

 I stared up at KK with a completely baffled look on my face. It took a moment to realize what she'd asked me.

 "Uh, sure!" I blurted out. "But I don't know how much help I'll be. I've never exactly worked before."

 KK grinned as she leaned over and grabbed my empty coffee mug. "That's okay. There's really nothing to a cash register."

 I gulped nervously.



 I sure hoped KK was right about that one.

 minutes later, I was situated behind the front counter by the cash register, wearing a red apron similar to KK's that said "Kapoor's Coffee House"

 I was afraid doing this. What if Ram suddenly walked in and saw me doing his job? Wouldn't he be a little mad? And what if I totally messed up on a person's order and brought them the wrong?

  ohh god help me

And by the time closing time at eight o'clock rolled around, I realized that KK was right Cafe got packed.

  KK took care of most of the snacks orders - some of which seemed complicated - while I dealt with cash counter.... A lot of people seemed to be regulars, since I was asked pretty frequently when I'd started working here and how I knew KK

 "She's a friend of the family," KK had answered with a smile

 I couldn't help but smile at that one.

 I bit back a squeak when I saw that it was Ram Kapoor himself marching inside with his typical scowl in place, looking a bit exhausted. He was followed by dadi and two sisters....

 "MOM!" one of the girl i think nutz screamed throw her arms around KK.

 KK laughed while hugging the little girl back



  "Priya?" Ram said in surprise, stopping in his tracks. "What're you doing here?"

 "Oh, she was just giving me a hand," KK replied before I could. "It turns out Priya is quite the waitress."

 I flushed bright red while Ram gave me a killer look, his amazing eyes narrowed.

"Is that so?" he said

  His distaste wasn't hidden from anyone.

"Do be more polite, Ram," Dadi said jab koi ldki yaha hoo tum kam se kam thode gentleman ban sakte ho,.( "The least you could do is be a gentleman when a young lady is in your presence.")

 I felt a tug on the end of my apron and glanced down to see one of twine  standing beside me, staring up at me with a curious look on her cute little face.

 "Hi," I said.

 "Hi!" she chirped back brightly.

 "Who are you?" she asked, her eyebrows pitching together in confusion.

"I'm Priya," I said. "I go to college with your brother."

 "I'm natasha Call me nutz everyone here call me nutz!" she said loudly. "Ram's my big brother."

I grinned, glancing over at Ram out of the corner of my eye. He was watching me with this look in his eyes that made my stomach start fluttering with butterflies.

I bent down on one knee to nutz's level and she gripped my shoulders tightly and leaned forward to whisper something in my ear.

 "Ram' bhai s a big fat meanie."

I couldn't help but burst out laughing. I started laughing so hard

 "I'm...I'm sure he is," I sighed,

Nutz was smirking, as if she was very satisfied with herself. "He's never nice to me soumya."

 "Nutz, what nonsense are you telling Priya now?"

Nutz stopped talking mid-sentence as Ram leaned over the front counter, giving his little sister a stern glare.

 "Nothing!" she chirped back with a bright smile.

 Ram rollled his eyes before he launched himself across the front counter, caught Nutz in his arms, and then started tickling her. (Dont kill me plz imagine nutz only 12)

 I sat back on the ground bcoz of laughing loudly  and watched as Nutz burst with delighted giggles while she struggled to get out of Ram's arms.

 "All right, all right!" KK said loudly over Nutz's laughter. "I think that's enough, you two."

 "Put me down, Bhai!" Nutz squeaked in an indignant voice.



"Yes, well, next time don't tell lies," Ram said before placing his little sister on her feet.

Ram turned to me with a raised eyebrow,. "What're you doing on the floor?"

 "Nothing!"

 Well, that was nice.

"You should probably leave," he said a moment later

 Great. So he was still mad at me

"Actually!" KK interjected loudly. "Do you want to stay for dinner, Priya? You were a great help this afternoon."

It was safe to say that Ram looked horrified at his mother's invitation.

 "Uh, sure..." I said shiftily, glancing over at Ram. "That sounds nice."

Ram was staring down at his feet, his jaw set, his hands clenched into fists at his sides.

i want to stay not only was I hungry, too, but I wanted to figure out what was going on with Ram.

 Talking with KK today had confirmed me  there was something I didn't know about Ram that obviously took up a big portion of his life. Maybe if I found out what that was, I'd be able to help him with and save him to kill himself...

Yam had told me last night that I could do this and it was time for me to stop sitting around and waiting for something to happen.

  "Well, then, what are we waiting for?" Dadi said . "Let's go have dinner!"

  So that's exactly what we did.....

The apartment above cafee was not what I was expecting at all. We'd all climed through a staircase situated towards the back of the place. we'd reached a faded and cracked wooden door that KK had promptly unlocked with a key.

 The room beyond the front door was in darkness, so I couldn't see anything bcoz light were off But when somebody switch on the lights, I wasn't ready for the sight.

I enter in living room and beside a surprisingly large kitchen there is tv abt 90's and Old dining table

 "Do me a favor and get out of my way, Priya. You're blocking the the way"

I quickly stepped to the side

Dadi and KK bustled into the kitchen, deciding what to make for dinner, while two girls tossed themselves onto the couch in the living room and turned on the TV.

 I just stood there, wrapping my arms, wondering what I was supposed to do.here

 "Uhm...is there anything i mean may i help you?" I asked awkwardly, walking into the kitchen.

KK looked up at me and said

 "No, you've done enough, Priya," "

I smiled

Tum  chaho to dono ladiyo pe nazar rakho Rab hi janta hai un dono ka kya hoga ( "You could, however, keep up watch on those three in there The god only knows what they get up to) Dadi said

 I stepped back into the living room and took a seat on the where both girls fighting over the TV remote.

 i wanna watch Balh give me remote nutz said ....no I wanna Watch IKNMP and snatch remote from her....

"Hey, you two. What're you fighting about?"

Ram came and plucked the remote out of soumya's hands.

 "You're going to watch Kasam se and I don't want to hear any more fighting. Understood?" Ram asked his little sisters after flicking through the channels.

both said  "Yes, bhai."

Clearly Ram had no problem discipline anybody.

 "Kids! Come set the table, please!"

Dinner was hilarious...me Dadi and KK chatted while  Ram remained quiet just about the entire dinner.

 Had I said something to angry him? Did he not like the fact that I helped out his Mom at Cafe...??what if???

 Of course Ram was angry on something.

I just had to figure out what was going on in his mind.

 "All right! Bed time!" my thoughts brok by ram's voice

 I didn't really know how to describe the feeling that tugged at my heart when Ram scooped up Soumya in his arms and carried his sister to the stairs. Her head drooped on Ram's shoulder and it seemed as if she was fast asleep within a few seconds.

 Don't judge him too harshly, a my inner soul said again. You don't know that much about him.



 "You know, I'm sure we wouldn't have trouble finding you a job at the coffee house, if you want," KK said that brought me to reality

"Uh...seriously?". "You really want to give me a job?"

 "Sure. Why not? You did great today

 Well, she had a point there. But still. A job?

"Sure...that sounds nice," I said  awkwardly, not really sure of what to say.

 KK smiled even wider. "Wonderful! Ram give you a call later and we can add you to the schedule."

  Oh, great.

    I was saved from saying anything else when Ram appeared in the kitchen

 "It's almost ten," Ram said, gesturing towards the clock above the stove. "Are you ready to leave?"

  "What?"

 Ram raised an eyebrow,. "Your curfew is at ten, isn't it?"

 I stared at him with a blank look on my face.

Ram Kapoor had remembered my curfew. he remembered.....

 "Y-Y-Yes," I stammered, "I-I'm...yes. Let's go."

 KK gave me a tight hug as a goodbye and another smile while Ram waited impatiently at the door.

  I bid goodbye to dadi and KK....we left....

 Now the silence between Ram and me was a little more than uncomfortable.

What was I supposed to say?

 " taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to...to eye up on you like that."

 Ram snorted. "Yes, whatever, Priya. You went to visit my mom. Because that's not weird or unusual at all."

"Ram! I'm trying - "

I shocked when Ram started laughing.

 His laughter was deep and rich I' never ever heard before. Hearing Ram laugh, I could understand why he didn't laugh more often. His laughter was amazing.

 "I'm just messing around with you, Priya," Ram said with a smirk. "Learn to get a sense of humor."

  i would reply him but right then my heart was pumping fast against my chest and I felt like I might died out on the spot Neha had been right. Neha had totally been right.

  I had a crush on Ram Kapoor. I had a very big crush on him.

" Priya, why are you staring at me like that?

It's almost ten. You have to go home."

 Well, wasn't this just fantastic?

Next DAY 1st Day Of Job

"Damn it, Priya! You burnt my hand!"

 "I am so sorry, Ram! I told you, you shouldn't have let me try to make coffee!"

 "You were only supposed to be changing the filter, not making coffee! How do you manage to dump hot water everywhere?"

  "I told you, I'm not - "

Ram cut me off with a disgusted look,

 I just stood there beside the cash register, and  watched Ram run his very red hand uner cold water.

 You could say that I was not expecting my first day of work at Kapoor's Cafe.  Waitressing wasn't exactly a problem for me. But making coffee on the other hand....well, that was a little more complicated.

I'd told Ram it not cup of tea for me he refused to listen to me.

 And now his hand was burnt.

  "I'm sorry, Ram," I mumbled, ducking my head. "I didn't mean to hurt you."

"Whatever, Priya," Ram sighed, "It's not like I'm going to die or anything."

 I stared at Ram with a horrified look on my face after he said those words.

Had he really just said that? What the hell was he playing at?

  "Why are you looking at me like that?"

I jcame back into reality when Ram snapped two fingers in front of my face,

  "Sorry, sorry," I said quickly, ducking my head again.

"You really are a dumb, aren't you, Priya?" Ram said, a smirk twisting the corners of his mouth.

  "Yes, well, only when you're around, Ram."

how incredibly stupid what I just said was.

 Shit.

I quickly change topic and started my work Ram were placing plates in dustbin

 Dont fall priya get a grip priya get a grip

i said to myself....

  "Do I make you nervous, Priya?"

  "No," I replied....

"I think you're lying."

 "look who's talking.".

"Why do I make you nervous, Priya?"

 I turned to Ram with a glare. "Why does it matter to you Ram? And anyways, I never said that you made me nervous as it is."

 "You just gave yourself away right there."

I rolled my eyes,whatever



XXXXXX



 It was barely 7 in the evening, Since it was Sunday, Cafe had closed up early for the evening, and the place was entirely empty, save for the two of us.

 And what a joy that was.

KK and all gone to supermarkets

I was pleased by the fact that Ram and I were alone, that I could ask him with more questions, I was beyond nervous.

 Ram sitting on table his both Palm on his face....

 I'd always thought that Ram really didn't have a care in the world. But spending more time with his and his family, I was beigning to realize that he had a lot more responsibilities placed on his thin shoulders . It was sort of sad to think about, in all honesty.

 i went near him and abt to say something he cut off me and said Lets go priya....

 "Where are we going?" I asked him nervously.

Ram didn't answer, instead walking over to corner of the kitchen to grab his black jacket and yank it on.

Ram?" I repeated, a bit frantic.

"ohh God, Priya, just grab your things...

ok....

 i came back with my things.....



Let's just go, all right?"



, I followed after him.....

 Ram and I walked side by side down the sidewalk in silence,

I thought about asking him where we were going, but I figured he probably would just yell at me if I ask again

but i said ram tell me na were we going???

 "Central Park?" he said i turning to Ram. "This is where we were going?"

Ram shrugged. "I like going to Central Park. Helps me think."

i stared him....

 How many times had I heard Ram say anything about his likes or dislikes or anything about himself?

 Like, no times, that's how many.

"I used to go Central park with my parents on Sundays," I said start conversation

we walked. "We'd always get Cold coffee from that coffee stand by the Central Park Zoo."

 "Who knew the Shramas showed the slightest bit of domesticity."

I rolled my eyes. There was the same Ram again

My words fell short as I watched Ram pull out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter from his jacket pocket and light up.

 "You smoke?" I asked

Ram raised an eyebrow, giving me a flat look as he took a drag on his cigarette. "I do."

 "Why?" I gave an effected shudder.

 "Its keep me calm," he replied with an eye roll.

 We kept walking, heading towards entry gate  of  the park. There were still lot of people out and about in the park, but for some reason there was a calm, peaceful air about the place that made me feel relaxed for the first time in last some days

"That's eight minutes, you know," I said as we walked.

"Eight minutes?" Ram repeated in a confused voice. "What the hell are you talking about?"

 "Every time you smoke a cigarette, that's Eight minutes less you get to spend alive."

 Ram stared down at me

 "Eight minutes that wouldn't matter," he finally muttered, glancing away

That comment just about stopped my heart beat. What had he just said?

 "You don't really think that, do you?" I asked him

He didn't say anything. but a moment later, he chucked his cigarette on the ground and stamped it out with his shoes

 "There," he said. "I put out the cigarette for you. Happy now, Priya?"

 There was something about that comment of his that made me very, very angry.

 "What the hell is your problem, Ram?" I yelled him

 Ram glanced down at me, still walking at a fast pace, and said. "Everything's my problem. I thought you knew that."

 "Stop! Just stop, okay?"

A few people around stare over at Ram and me.

We had both stopped in our tracks and were staring at each other

 "Excuse me?" Ram said

"I don't know what you're playing at, but you've seriously got to stop it," I said in angry voice,. "Why can't you just be real with me for at least 10 minutes? Is that so much to ask?"

"The part I'm having trouble understanding is why it matter to you, Priya?" he replied back in a heated voice.

 "It's not good to bottle up things, Ram! You'd feel a lot better if you actually talked about things going on in your life,," I said

 Ram crossed his arms over his chest and stared down at me,

 I stared back up at him,

 "And what would you know, hm?" he said in a low voice. "You're just a sheltered rich girl. What would you know about the real world?"

 "This isn't about me!" . "This is about you!"

 Ram looked just as shocked as I jabbed a finger into his chest, nearly knocking him back a step. 

 "Why do you always avoid everything, haa?? Did something happen to you when you were younger that made you hate the world? Why can't you just grow up and face your problems? Do you think your mom would enjoy seeing you tearing yourself up on the inside like this? This isn't a joke, Ram!"

  I quickly leaned away from Ram when I realized what I'd actually just said,

I didn't have a lot of expectations about how Ram was going to answer those questions But the last thing I was expecting was for Ram to suddenly reach out, grip my forearm, and start dragging me a bench a little ways away.

 Chodo mujhe i said , yanking my arm away.

 I didn't like the feeling touching Ram gave me. It felt like I was about to feel many butterflies in my stomach.

 "Sit down," Ram said

I glared at him while I took a seat, still very embarrassed with myself.

  It took Ram a few moments of taking deep, calming breaths before he took a seat beside me on the bench,

 My breath caught in my throat, waiting for him to say something.

 "You're a brat, Priya," he finally said. "And if you ever talk to me like that again, I'm probably going to take off my shoe and throw it at you."

 I stared at him with pursed lips. "Well, get used to it Ram. You worry people too much."

he stared at me that made my stomach drop.

  "What?" I asked

He took a deep breath. "If you ever repeat this to anyone else, Priya, I swear I'm going to - "

 I cut him off with a look. "Just tell me, Ram."

His eyes narrowed he staredown at his shoes before he spoke again.

  "My dad was imprisoned on a first-degree homicide charge when I was 13."




      "Homicide (Homicide is the act of a human being killing another human being)"


Author
Aman.anjaan

 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting update...continue soon.

Unknown said...

Wow
Xcellent update...
Waiting for d nxt already..
So interesting....

Unknown said...

nice....pls continue soon

RaYa forever said...

very interesting update! I really like Priya's persistence...Ram is finally staring to open up to her. I think that he has been in love with her for a very long time...please update ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Plssss Update

Post a Comment